Pakistani parents killed daughter for eyeing boy
Islamabad: A Pakistani couple accused of killing their 15-year-old daughter by pouring acid on her carried out the attack because she sullied the family`s honour by looking at a boy, the couple said in an interview broadcast Monday said.
The girl`s death underlines the problem of so-called "honor killings" in Pakistan where women are often killed for marrying or having relationships not approved by their families or because they are perceived to have somehow dishonored their family.
The girl`s parents, Mohammad Zafar and his wife Zaheen, recounted the Oct. 29 incident from jail. The father said the girl had turned to look at a boy who drove by on a motorcycle, and he told her it was wrong.
"She said `I didn`t do it on purpose. I won`t look again.` By then I had already thrown the acid. It was her destiny to die this way," the girl`s mother told the British broadcaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra