Pakistani PM graft case: Investigator`s body exhumed
Islamabad: The body of a Pakistani investigator, probing a corruption case involving Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and found hanging last month, has been exhumed from his grave for investigation, a media report said.
A murder case was earlier registered in the death of Kamran Faisal, assistant director of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), assisting in the corruption scandal involving Ashraf.
Ashraf is accused of receiving kickbacks over construction of power plants when he was minister for water and power.
Faisal wanted to be taken off the case. After his death, relatives alleged that his body bore torture marks and that he was frequently receiving threatening calls.
A four-member team from the Punjab Forensic Science Agency Saturday collected specimens from the body after exhuming it from his grave in Mian Channu, Dawn News reported.
The forensic team would analyse the samples in Lahore to determine whether Faisal committed suicide or was murdered.
NAB insiders earlier told Geo News that Faisal, who had written the report on the case, was "mentally tortured" by senior officials to change the report but he refused to budge.
A murder case was registered on a complaint lodged by NAB Additional Director Noman Aslam.
Aslam said the case was filed "on account of widespread rumours and suspicions" that Faisal could have been murdered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version
- Can bear body odour, not bad breath: Ranveer Singh
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall