Pakistani PM invites Opposition for talks on caretaker setup
Islamabad: Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf on Thursday invited the Opposition for talks on the nomination of a consensus person to lead the caretaker setup during the polls.
The assemblies will be dissolved on March 16 on the completion of five-year term.
Fresh elections will be held in two months` time since the day of the dissolution of the assemblies. A caretaker government will hold the elections, reported Xinhua.
The Prime Minister proposed three names for the caretaker prime minister and invited the Opposition for dialogue to reach consensus on one name, the Prime Minister`s office said.
The three names Raja Pervez Asharf suggested were former finance minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh, former governor of State Bank of Pakistan Ishrat Hussain, and former Supreme Court judge Justice (Retd) Mir Hazar Khan Khoso, the PM office said in a statement.
"The above are persons of known standing, integrity and competence," the Prime Minister said in a letter to the Opposition leader in the National Assembly, Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan.
The Opposition has already sent its three names to the Prime Minister. These include two former Supreme Court judges and a senior political leader from southern Sindh province.
"We can discuss and deliberate on the names put forward both by the government and the opposition at a mutually convenient time so that we can agree on a suitable person in line with the constitutional obligations," Raja Pervez Asharf said.
He hoped for an early response from the Opposition to put a closure to the issue and move forward to set the stage for holding General Elections in the country.
He said he has held in-depth consultations with his allies as well as within the ruling Pakistan People`s Party in keeping with the same spirit on the proposed names.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India