Pakistani Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud killed in US drone strike
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Islamabad: Three militants, including a key Taliban commander Hakimullah Mehsud, were killed in a US drone attack at Pakistan`s North Waziristan region on Friday.
The drone had fired four missiles on a compound in Dandae Darpakhel area of Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan.
Although there is no confirmation from the government or Taliban about his death, the Army sources today confirmed that he has been killed in the drone strike.
Mehsud, who was one of Pakistan`s most wanted men, has been reported dead several times before.
In 2009, Mehsud became a leader of Pakistani Taliban after a drone strike killed his predecessor.
The intelligence sources revealed that Hakimullah`s personal bodyguard Tariq Mehsud and his driver Abdullah Mehsud were among the dead.
The locals after the attack recovered the three dead bodies and others injured from the debris of the house. On the other hand, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf has been holding protests against US drone strikes in the country.
North Waziristan shares border with Afghanistan and Taliban insurgency is quite high in the region.
The drone strike was the second in row after Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif visited the United States to ask President Barack Obama to cease down drone attacks in the country.
Pakistan has been opposing the drone attacks for long calling them a violation of territory integrity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore