Pakistani Taliban declare a month-long ceasefire: Report
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Pakistani Taliban has declared a month-long ceasefire to revive peace talks, a media report said on Saturday.
Pakistani Taliban spokesman announced a one-month long ceasefire today aimed at reviving failed peace talks with the government.
"The senior leadership of the Taliban advised all subgroups to respect Taliban`s call for a ceasefire and abide by it and completely refrain from all jihadi activities in this time period," the statement said.
The development came three days after the outlawed Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) had rejected the Nawaz Sharif government’s call for an unconditional ceasefire.
“If this is what we have to do, we would have done it 10 years ago,” the Dawn on Wednesday quoted TTP spokesman Shahidullah Shahid as saying on Tuesday.
Shahidullah had also blamed intelligence agencies for Monday`s killing of TTP`s senior commander Asmatullah Shaheen Bhittani.
In recent weeks the Pakistan air force has bombed militant targets in the the northwest, and there is a speculation that the army will launch an offensive in North Waziristan, a tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, a meeting of the Pakistan government and Taliban-nominated negotiators will be held on Monday which is likely to be chaired by Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, a cleric considered close to the banned militant group said today.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city