Pakistani Taliban declare nationwide cease-fire
Peshawar: A senior Pakistani Taliban commander says the movement has declared a cease-fire and halted attacks around the country in support of nascent peace talks with the government.
The commander said late on Monday the group`s cease-fire has been in effect for the past month. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not the official spokesman of the insurgent network.
But his statement adds credence to recent announcements by the Taliban that they are in peace talks with government intermediaries.
The Pakistan Taliban are behind much of the violence in Pakistan. The group is believed to be divided, with some factions still committed to war with the state.
There have been several insurgent attacks over the last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics