Pakistani Taliban stop children from going to schools
Islamabad: The Pakistani Taliban have barred children from going to schools in North Waziristan after security forces set up a road block as part of security measures in Miranshah town, according to a media report on Tuesday.
The `Shura` or council of a Taliban faction led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur yesterday warned parents not to send their children to five schools near the cantonment in Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency.
The move came after security forces set up a road block on the main artery of Miranshah.
The Taliban barred boys and girls from going to school until security forces removed the barricades, the Dawn newspaper reported today.
"Boys and girls will not go to these educational institutions until the road is opened for general public. If any boy or girl violates the decision of the Shura then he/she will be responsible for the consequences," said a statement issued by the Taliban faction.
Security forces blocked the road after a suicide attack on Esha check post last month killed 24 soldiers and injured 40 others.
Security has been tightened in the area since the attack.
Imposition of curfew in areas along the road has affected social and economic activities.
The Taliban statement said the road block was causing inconvenience to the people and had forced hundreds of girls to pass through main streets and markets.
"The movement of young girls and women through streets is against the teachings of Islam and local traditions. Therefore the Shura and the tribal people cannot tolerate it," the statement said.
The decree was issued even though the faction led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur had signed a peace deal with the government.
The statement said this pact was signed "for the glory of religion and to protect the dignity of the local people".
The Taliban said their Shura had not banned education in the area but the militants could not tolerate anything that negated tribal values and traditions.
The Taliban decree has affected hundreds of boys and girls.
The cantonment in Miranshah has three semi-government English schools for boys, a high school for girls and a degree college for girls with over 400 students.
Educational institutions across Waziristan and in other parts of the tribal belt have already been badly hit by militancy and violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in