Pakistani Taliban to shift focus from Pak army to NATO forces in Afghanistan
Peshawar: The Pakistani Taliban has said they would cease their occasional attacks on the Pakistani army in North Waziristan and concentrate attacks on NATO forces in Afghanistan instead.
The ceasefire does not apply to the rest of the country, where there are often fierce clashes between the Taliban and security services, reports The Dawn.
Thousands of Pakistani soldiers are stationed in North Waziristan along the Afghan border, which is a Taliban stronghold.
There have been occasional clashes there between the soldiers and Taliban, but a leaflet issued by Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud ordered those to stop. A senior commander confirmed the pamphlet’s veracity.
The pamphlet said that the enemy is trying to divide the Pakistani and Afghan Taliban which, under the leadership of Mullah Mohammad Omar Mujahid, are engaged in ``holy war`` against the crusaders and infidels, and are supporters of each others in the ongoing war.
The Taliban have formed alliances with a number of other militant groups in North Waziristan who are violently opposed to the Pakistani state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what