Pakistanis denied British bail over Qaeda suspicions: Judge
London: Five Pakistani men arrested in a major anti-terror swoop in Britain were denied bail due to a series of emails which could have implicated them in an Al-Qaeda plot, a judge revealed on Friday.
The five were among 12 men -- 11 Pakistanis and one
Briton -- who were arrested in raids in April but not
subsequently charged with any criminal offences.
Along with two other men who did not apply for bail, the
five are challenging attempts by the British government to
deport them on the grounds that they posed a threat to
The five were denied bail at a hearing of the Special
Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC) at the end of last month
-- the reasons for which were revealed today.
Judge John Mitting said a string of emails exchanged
between an address attributed to one of the men -- identified
only as XC -- and another attributed to an Al-Qaeda associate
were "central to the open case of the appellants".
The emails XC sent to "Sohaib" seemed to refer to a
"nikah", or wedding, but the security services believe
"They appear to refer to XC`s interest in named girls and
to a nikah after 15th and before 20th April 2009 with one of
them, Nadia," Mitting said in a written statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway