Pakistanis keen to know about Rushdie`s tweets
Islamabad: Days after author Salman Rushdie
took to Twitter, he was accosted by users of the micro-
blogging website in Pakistan keen on finding out whether he
was the real deal or just someone operating a spoof account.
Using the handle "@SalmanRushdie1", the controversial
novelist put out his first tweet on Thursday but was unable to
get his account verified by administrators of the website.
As word spread of his arrival on Twitter and he began
tweeting more frequently, users in Pakistan yesterday began
questioning whether the account was genuine.
Omar Waraich, a British journalist based in Islamabad,
decided to ask Rushdie that "would likely have eluded all but
the shrewdest of impostors".
In a tweet, Waraich asked Rushdie where acclaimed
Pakistani poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz had sought refuge from a mob in
Rushdie promptly replied: "Under my aunt Begum Majeed
Malik`s carpet, in her cellar in Karachi. Now stop it
everyone. It`s becoming dull."
Another Twitter user, Ali Dayan Hasan of the Pakistan
chapter of Human Rights Watch, decided to probe further.
He asked Rushdie to give the middle name and nickname of
a woman known to the author.
Rushdie again supplied the correct answers, describing
Hasan as a "suspicious fellow".
Rushdie had a gift for his growing tribe of followers on
Twitter - a new short story called "A Globe Of Heaven" -
written in the micro-blogging site`s messages of just 140
Rushdie tweeted that new parts of the story would be
posted every day.
The author also took time to vent his ire at the person
who had appropriated the handle "@salmanrushdie".
He tweeted: "@salmanrushdie"? who are you? why are you
pretending to be me? Release this username. you are a phoney.
all followers please note."
Though born in Mumbai to a family of Kashmiri origin in
June 1947, Rushdie’s family moved to Pakistan shortly after
Several of his relatives lived in Karachi and Rushdie
briefly worked as a television producer in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- LG X Screen: Smartphone that offers more than just two screens
- Bomb explodes at Brussels criminology institute, no casualties
- Four youths arrested in Mewat murder-rape, loot case
- Quake of magnitude 7.4 strikes northwest of Ascension Island: USGS
- REVEALED: How much money did MS Dhoni charge for his upcoming biopic