Pakistanis keen to know about Rushdie`s tweets
Islamabad: Days after author Salman Rushdie
took to Twitter, he was accosted by users of the micro-
blogging website in Pakistan keen on finding out whether he
was the real deal or just someone operating a spoof account.
Using the handle "@SalmanRushdie1", the controversial
novelist put out his first tweet on Thursday but was unable to
get his account verified by administrators of the website.
As word spread of his arrival on Twitter and he began
tweeting more frequently, users in Pakistan yesterday began
questioning whether the account was genuine.
Omar Waraich, a British journalist based in Islamabad,
decided to ask Rushdie that "would likely have eluded all but
the shrewdest of impostors".
In a tweet, Waraich asked Rushdie where acclaimed
Pakistani poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz had sought refuge from a mob in
Rushdie promptly replied: "Under my aunt Begum Majeed
Malik`s carpet, in her cellar in Karachi. Now stop it
everyone. It`s becoming dull."
Another Twitter user, Ali Dayan Hasan of the Pakistan
chapter of Human Rights Watch, decided to probe further.
He asked Rushdie to give the middle name and nickname of
a woman known to the author.
Rushdie again supplied the correct answers, describing
Hasan as a "suspicious fellow".
Rushdie had a gift for his growing tribe of followers on
Twitter - a new short story called "A Globe Of Heaven" -
written in the micro-blogging site`s messages of just 140
Rushdie tweeted that new parts of the story would be
posted every day.
The author also took time to vent his ire at the person
who had appropriated the handle "@salmanrushdie".
He tweeted: "@salmanrushdie"? who are you? why are you
pretending to be me? Release this username. you are a phoney.
all followers please note."
Though born in Mumbai to a family of Kashmiri origin in
June 1947, Rushdie’s family moved to Pakistan shortly after
Several of his relatives lived in Karachi and Rushdie
briefly worked as a television producer in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi