Pakistanis linked to Osama bin Laden plot get back jobs
Abbottabad: A Pakistani court on Thursday reinstated in their jobs the 17 health workers who were fired last year for allegedly participating in a CIA scheme to confirm the presence of Osama bin Laden in a town in northwest Pakistan, a defence lawyer said.
Lawyer Javed Awan said the court order affected 16 female health workers and one male whom a government health department suspended last year for failing to inform authorities about Pakistani doctor Shakil Afridi`s fake vaccination campaign. The health workers insist they did not know Afridi was working for the CIA.
The campaign aimed to collect blood samples from bin Laden`s family to show that the al Qaeda leader was in the northern town of Abbottabad, where he was later killed in a US raid in May 2011.
Pakistan strongly protested the raid, considering it a violation of the country`s sovereignty.
Afridi was sentenced to more than three decades in prison for ties with militants. But it is widely believed that he was punished for his role in the raid. Afridi`s lawyer and his family have said he is innocent as he did nothing against the interests of Pakistan.
Awan said the 17 had been directed by senior health officials to participate in the vaccination campaign, which ran in the town from February 15 to May 15, 2010, and that they were innocent of wrongdoing.
"I am happy that I got my job back," said Amraiza Bibi, one of the 17 who was present in the court during the ruling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note