Pakistanis want British MP to remove terror stigma
Gujjar Khan: The rise of a Pakistani-born Briton to become the first Muslim woman named in a British cabinet has given Pakistan something to cheer after weeks of introspection and blame over the failed New York bombing.
Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, the Conservative Party`s chairwoman, has been named minister without portfolio by Prime Minister David Cameron in his new coalition government.
In Pakistan, a country where many fear they are being stigmatised as "terrorists," people are jubilant over her appointment.
Born into a modest family which migrated from Pakistan`s central town of Gujjar Khan to Britain in the 1960s, Warsi has been involved in politics since her college days.
Newspapers prominently published photos of Warsi standing in front of 10 Downing Street and television channels interviewed her proud relatives and family friends in Gujjar Khan.
Warsi runs five vocational training centres for orphaned girls in villages near Gujjar Khan through a women`s charity. Cameron visited Gujjar Khan with her in 2008.
"We feel proud that she is from us," said Hina Shaukat, a student in a vocational training centre in Bewal village near Gujjar Khan. Eight girls sat around her, busily sewing.
Warsi`s appointment could not come at a better time for Pakistanis distressed by the arrest of Faisal Shahzad, 30, a Pakistan-born US citizen accused by US officials of driving an explosives-laden car into New York`s Times Square on May 01.
Shahzad`s case is not the first linking Islamists in the West to Pakistan. British authorities have said most of the al Qaeda plots against Britain are rooted in Pakistan.
Three of the four Islamists who carried out suicide bombings on London`s transport network in 2005, killing 52 people, were also of Pakistani origin.
"There is an urgent need to find out why terrorists of all sorts in every nook and corner of the world are either Pakistanis or of Pakistani origin," the liberal Daily Times wrote.
Pakistan has been a breeding ground for militancy since the late 1970s, when it supported the US-backed fight against the Soviet invasion.
Its lawless ethnic Pashtun tribal belt on the Afghan border has become the global hub of Islamist militancy after thousands of al Qaeda and Taliban fighters fled the US-led war in Afghanistan.
Warsi`s appointment has come as a national morale booster.
"At a time when there is an impression all over the world that all terrorism emanates from Pakistan, Sayeeda Warsi`s appointment is like a breath of fresh air," said Warsi`s cousin, Nusrat Mubashar.
"If some people are involved in terrorism, it does not mean that every Pakistani child is a terrorist," Mubashar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt