Pakistan’s Cabinet approves Gwadar port transfer to China
Islamabad: The Pakistan Cabinet has approved the multi-billion dollar Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline, as well as a deal transferring the management of the Gwadar port from Singapore to China was also given the go-ahead.
Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said the Cabinet gave approval to transfer Gwadar port operations from Port of Singapore to Chinese Overseas Port Holdings Limited, adding that the decision was taken to meet the country`s soaring energy requirements, reports The Express Tribune.
He, however, did not give a timetable for the transfer. Kaira said that Singapore`s PSA International could not develop or operate Gwadar "as desired" and said he hoped that under the new management the strategically located deep-sea port would soon contribute to Pakistan`s flagging economy.
He said that the Chinese will make more investment to make the project operational. China provided about 75 percent of the initial USD 250 million in funding for the construction of the port in Balochistan.
It is currently being operated by Singapore`s PSA International, but needs further development work to become fully operational. According to PSA`s Gwadar website, there has been no ship in the port since November.
According to defence and strategic analysts, China wants to use the port for commercial and defence purposes, which will undermine US influence in the Arabian Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America