Pakistan`s disgraced nuclear scientist AQ Khan dissolves his political party
Islamabad: Pakistan`s disgraced nuclear scientist AQ Khan on Friday announced the dissolution of his political party Tehrik-e-Tahaffuz Pakistan.
Khan said he had taken the decision after consulting his companions and would file the termination documents with the Election Commission.
He said politicking through small, isolated groups was wrong and that from here on, he would support the party he feels is heading in the right direction, Express News reported.
Khan`s party was established in July 2012 as a platform for campaigning against corruption and promoting political awareness among the youth.
In February, the party`s Khyber-Pukhtunkhwa wing claimed to have registered over 70,000 members.
For the general election of May 11, the party fielded joint candidates with Jamaat-e-Islami, contesting with a "missile" as its symbol.
However, he was unable to make any impact on Pakistan`s political scene.
Khan was put under house arrest in 2004 after he admitted on national television to running a secret proliferation ring that provided know-how and nuclear components to countries like North Korea and Libya.
He later denied any involvement and claimed he did everything under orders.
The previous PPP government had eased some of the restrictions on Khan after he filed cases in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested