Pakistan`s existence threatened by Taliban: MQM
Karachi: The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) on Sunday organised a massive rally in this southern Pakistani city to show solidarity with the armed forces, saying the country`s existence is being threatened by militancy.
Addressing the rally on phone, MQM`s London-based chief Altaf Hussain said Pakistan`s peace and security are under threat and it is important that measures be taken to safeguard stability.
Hussain also said the country`s existence is threatened, and those who support the Taliban are hypocrites and not Pakistan`s friends.
He said external forces had "abused" Pakistan for their own agendas and the army should step forward as it has backing of every Pakistani. "If we`re strong internally, no external power can disintegrate us," Hussain said.
Dedicating the rally to martyrs, he said whoever supports the Taliban is a traitor of Pakistan.
He said he had warned people about the threat posed by Talibanisation years ago but his statement about Karachi being infiltrated by militants was made fun of.
The rally, held at Shahra-e-Quaideen, was attended by tens of thousands of people, including a large number of women and children. It was organised days after the federal government suspended peace talks with the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan after a militant faction executed 23 troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what