`Pakistan’s jails breeding ground for extremists`
Islamabad: Pakistan`s jails have become breeding grounds for extremists because outlawed groups like Tehrik-e-Taliban have taken their "ideological campaign" to prisoners, according to an adviser to Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani.
Mustafa Nawaz Khokhar, the newly-inducted adviser to the Prime Minister on human rights, made the observation in a letter sent to Gilani as also to the director general of ISI and the chief minister of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province after a visit to Haripur jail, a media report said today.
The jail, one of the oldest in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, came under the spotlight after the 9/11 attacks in the US as many Pakistanis were brought there from Afghanistan, where they had gone with radical cleric Maulana Sufi Muhammad and other extremists to join the `jihad`.
Khokar said in his letter that the Pakistani Taliban and the Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan, an anti-Shia group, had taken their "ideological campaign" to prisoners, Dawn News channel quoted its sources as saying.
"This jail has become a nursery for extremists because these elements are living with common prisoners and juveniles and there is no proper screening mechanism in place," said Amir Rana, an expert on terrorism, and director of the Pakistan Institute of Peace Studies.
The sources claimed that Khokhar, during his visit to the Haripur jail`s juvenile ward, found graffiti and posters praising the Taliban and Sipah-e-Sahaba. He also saw books glorifying the ideologies of the two banned organisations.
Khokhar, who has the status of a federal minister, recommended to Gilani the removal of the superintendent of Haripur jail, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you