`Pakistan’s ‘Malala moment’ has passed`
New York: The rage and furor over the Taliban’s shooting of Malala Yousafzai, the 14-year-old women education activist, has now apparently passed in Pakistan, an editorial in an American daily has said.
According to the editorial in the New York Times, in the immediate aftermath of the October 9 assault, some Pakistanis hoped it could set off a sea change in their society.
For years, the country’s ability to resist Taliban militancy has been hamstrung by a broad ambiguity that undermined a national consensus against Islamist violence, the paper said.
But after Yousafzai was shot, heart-rending images of the wounded child bounced against cold-blooded Taliban statements that the militants would shoot her again, if they had a chance. The country suddenly spoke with a unified, furious voice, it added.
The editorial, however, claimed that Pakistan’s “Malala moment,” and the possibilities it briefly excited, has now passed.
According to the paper, people in Pakistan now have ‘mixed feelings’ about Malala.
Some people even think that the attack on the teenage women rights activist was nothing, but an ‘American publicity stunt’ to make their point against the Taliban, the paper said.
Several young in the country are ambivalent about the attack on Malala, and believe that people have ignored Aafia Siddiqui, a Pakistani woman convicted on charges of trying to kill American soldiers and FBI agents by a New York court in 2010 and sentenced to 86 years in prison, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown