Pakistan`s opposition parties call for ending Sharif rule
Lahore: Pakistan`s opposition parties, led by Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tahreek-i-Insaf and Tahirul Qadri`s Pakistan Awami Tehreek on Sunday claimed that the Nawaz Sharif government would be ousted at the end of this month.
"We will end the `Sharif family`s monarchy in the country through our Azadi March on August 14. We will not leave Islamabad till the creation of New Pakistan," cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, Chairman, Pakistan Tahreek-i-Insaf said while addressing party workers in Lahore.
"If the police tortured my party workers or detained me then the Sharifs brothers will have no place even in the Punjab province," he added.
Khan stated that there was no real democracy in Pakistan but a monarchy led by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
"In?a democracy, the head of the state is accountable to the people. There is merit in the democratic system and the taxpayers? money is not used by the rulers.
"Can the nation take Sharif brothers accountable? What kind of democracy is this," he asked.
The party chief also challenged "to bring forward any individual I have appointed in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government from my family."
Pakistan Awami Tehreek chief Tahirul Qadri, on the other hand, said that "the party will put an end to the Nawaz-government by August and they will be held accountable for the killing of innocent people."
Referring to the violent clashes that broke out in Lahore`s Model Town in June this year, Qadri noted that the party will "hold a rally on August 10 to remember the 14 party supporters who were killed by police in the incident on the order of Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif."
He added that dates of a `Revolution March` will be announced after the rally.
Labelling the Nawaz-led government as fake, Imran Khan called for re-elections in the country.
"The time for this fake government is over, we will not rest until re-elections take place," Khan declared.
The popular face of Pakistan also attacked the ruling PML-N government for the slew of corruption charges faced by the Sharif family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!