Pakistan’s President quashes polls delay rumours
Islamabad: Dismissing rumours about delay in the Parliamentary Elections, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has vowed to hold transparent and timely polls, Xinhua reported.
Addressing a gathering on the occasion of fifth death anniversary of former prime minister and his spouse Benazir Bhutto in Sindh province, Zardari said all arrangements had been completed to hold free, fair and transparent elections.
"I want to categorically tell all political parties that they should not have any concerns about the holding of next general elections. We will ensure transparent elections," Zardari said.
"In order to hold free, fair and transparent elections, we have put in place an independent election commission besides legislation has also been done to install a consensus caretaker setup," he said.
The present Pakistani government is to complete its term in mid-March next year and a caretaker would be installed to hold elections within three months.
There have been rumours in Pakistani media that the elections are likely to be delayed and the caretaker government`s term is likely to be extended.
Zardari told his Pakistan People’s Party supporters that the government and the opposition parties would hold negotiations for a joint candidate for the post of a caretaker prime minister.
"This caretaker setup will remain in power for two or three months with the mandate of only holding elections," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog