Pakistan`s President to visit Kabul as tensions simmer
Islamabad: Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain will visit Kabul on Thursday to participate in the Nawroz festival, his first visit to Afghanistan since taking office in September, Pakistan`s Foreign Ministry announced on Wednesday.
The one-day visit comes after the Afghan government hinted that Pakistani intelligence may have played a role in deadly attacks in Kabul last week - a suggestion Pakistan vehemently denied.
Nawroz, the Persian New Year, is a major holiday in Afghanistan.
"At the invitation of President Hamid Karzai, President Mamnoon Hussain will be visiting Afghanistan on 27 March 2014 to participate in the Nawroz Festival," said a statement by the foreign ministry.
Pakistan is seen as crucial to securing peace in neighbouring Afghanistan as it was a key backer of the hardline 1996-2001 Taliban regime in Kabul and is believed still to shelter some of the movement`s leaders.
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif visited Kabul in November last year for talks with President Karzai on the future of the peace process and bilateral relations between the two Muslim neighbours.
"The President`s visit is part of the efforts to strengthen bilateral relations with Afghanistan in all dimensions and support efforts for durable peace, stability and prosperity in the region," the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race