Pakistan’s Prime Minister to visit US in December
Islamabad: Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf is likely to have his first interaction with officials of the US administration when he visits New York in December to join events marking Pakistan`s entry as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Pakistan will join the Security Council as a non-permanent member on January 01 and the Premier is likely to travel to New York to participate in events marking the occasion, Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani was quoted as saying by The News daily.
The report further said US President Barack Obama, who has been re-elected for a second term, was expected to visit Pakistan in the middle of next year but did not give any details.
The Pakistan-US Defence Consultative Group is scheduled to meet in Islamabad on December 30 after a long gap. The two sides recently resumed talks between several joint working groups.
Pakistan`s Defence Secretary Lt Gen (retired) Asif Yaseen Malik is currently visiting Washington while Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Sheikh is expected to travel to the US next week for a meeting on economic and financial cooperation.
The two countries are expected to revive their stalled Strategic Dialogue next year.
The dialogue has been on hold for almost a year after bilateral ties were hit by a string of crises, including the unilateral American military raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad in May last year.
Five joint working groups held meetings in Washington last month and the JWGs on nuclear security, counter-terrorism, agriculture and energy are expected to meet in Islamabad in Islamabad in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog