Pakistan`s SC orders indictment of Rehman Malik
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday ordered the indictment of former interior minister Rehman Malik for contempt of court for interfering in a probe into alleged corruption in a state-run steel firm, after rejecting his mercy plea.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry said Malik`s response to a contempt of court notice issued to him last year was unsatisfactory.
The bench observed he had interfered in the functioning of the court.
The bench ordered that proceedings to indict Malik for contempt would begin in seven days.
The Attorney General was appointed as the prosecutor in the case.
Last month, Malik had submitted an unconditional written apology and sought mercy from the court.
The Chief Justice observed today that the apology was tantamount to a confession and it was up to the court to accept it or not.
Malik asked the bench not to adjourn the case against him till tomorrow as he planned to travel to Uzbekistan but the request was rejected by the judges.
Malik later told reporters outside the court that he had been stopped by the apex court from travelling to Uzbekistan.
The Supreme Court had issued a contempt of court notice to Malik in May last year for constituting a new investigating team to probe alleged corruption in Pakistan Steel Mills without seeking the court`s consent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!