Pakistan’s situation not as chaotic as seems: Khar
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has said that the situation in the capital, following the Supreme Court order to arrest the Prime Minister on corruption allegations, was not as "chaotic" as it might appear.
The apex court ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf on Tuesday.
In June, Ashraf replaced Yousuf Raza Gilani, who was disqualified by the apex court in a showdown between the government and the judiciary, reports The News.
According to Khar, what looks like an extremely chaotic situation to the foreigners, is actually institutions, which have been stemmed for many years by dictatorial regimes in Pakistan, finding their rightful place. The arrest order for Ashraf along with a mass protest in the capital, Islamabad, led by Muslim cleric Muhammad Tahirul Qadri, has fuelled fears among some politicians that the military was working with the judiciary to force out a civilian leader.
However, the ruling coalition led by the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) has a majority in Parliament and lawmakers can elect another prime minister if Ashraf is ousted. Khar downplayed the influence of cleric Qadri, who played a role in backing a military coup in 1999.
Qadri returned from Canada less than a month ago to lead a call for electoral reforms to bar corrupt politicians from office. Qadri is camped out near the federal Parliament with thousands of supporters and has demanded the government resign. With the elections due in a few months, President Asif Ali Zardari hopes his administration will be the first civilian government to complete its term in 65 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days