‘Pak`s 2007 attack on US commanders hushed-up’
New York: The US was aware of Pakistan`s
"duplicitous role" in the war on terror long before its top
military commander Mike Mullen branded the dreaded Haqqani
network of Taliban a "veritable arm" of ISI, a media report
said on Tuesday.
A serious incident involving an ambush on American
military officers by Pakistani troops in Teri Mangal on May
14, 2007, in which a US major was killed and three other
officers were injured was hushed-up by Washington as
relations between the two nations were viewed as too valuable
to risk, `The New York Times` reported.
The attack took place when some American military
officers and Afghan officials had just finished a five-hour
meeting with their Pakistani hosts in a village schoolhouse to
settle a border dispute.
"An American major was killed and three American officers
were wounded, along with their Afghan interpreter, in what
fresh accounts from the Afghan and American officers, who were
there, reveal was a complex, calculated assault by a nominal
ally," the report said.
The assault involved multiple gunmen, Pakistani
intelligence agents and military officers, and an attempt to
abduct or draw away the senior American and Afghan officials.
The 2007 attack was kept under wraps by Washington, which
for much of a decade has seemed to play down or ignore signals
that Pakistan would pursue its own interests, or even
sometimes behave as an enemy, the report said.
The reconstruction of the attack, which several officials
suggested was revenge for Afghan or Pakistani deaths at
American hands, takes on new relevance, given the worsening
rupture in US-Pak relations, which had often been restrained
by Pakistan`s strategic importance, the Times said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read