Pak`s anti-graft body quizzes three former Generals
Islamabad: Pakistan`s top anti-corruption agency on Thursday quizzed three retired Generals, who were allegedly involved in the lease of railway land to a golf club at a throwaway price resulting in the loss of over Rs 16 billion.
Investigators of the National Accountability Bureau recorded the statements of former Lieutenant Generals Javed Ashraf Qazi and Saeeduz Zafar and former Maj Gen Hamid Hassan Butt in connection with the lease of land to the Royal Palm Golf Club in Lahore.
The retired army officers had been directed to appear before an investigation team at the NAB headquarters in Islamabad.
Their case is likely to be referred to the courts for a decision, media reports said.
Investigators also recorded the statements of former Member Finance Khursheed Ahmad Khan and former General Manager (Operations) Iqbal Samad Khan of Pakistan Railways.
Two other civilian officers have been summoned to appear before the investigation team and record their statements on November 5, said a statement from NAB.
Officials said the investigation was in the final stage and would be completed shortly.
According to NAB officials, the generals caused a loss of over Rs 16 billion to Pakistan Railways by leasing its land to the golf club at a throwaway price.
The Standing Committee on Railways of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament recently directed NAB to conduct an inquiry into the alleged involvement of the generals in the case.
NAB officials informed the parliamentary panel that the lease of the land to the golf club lacked transparency.
The panel was further informed that the generals were allegedly involved in the controversial lease process.
Initially, 103 acres were leased and this was later extended to 140 acres while ignoring the highest bid.
NAB officials informed the parliamentary panel that the Royal Palm Golf Club had agreed to raise the lease amount.
NAB is likely to recover Rs 16.18 billion from the contractor of Royal Palm Golf Club for Pakistan Railways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan