Pak’s Hindu lawmakers walk out of Parliament
Islamabad: Lawmakers belonging to
Pakistan`s minority Hindu community walked out of Parliament to protest a top judge`s remarks that Hindus might be financing terrorist attacks in the country.
Ramesh Lal, a lawmaker from the ruling Pakistan
People`s Party, raised the issue in the National Assembly
yesterday, saying the sentiments of an estimated four million
Pakistani Hindus were hurt by Lahore High Court Chief Justice
Khwaja Muhammad Sharif`s uncalled for remarks.
While hearing a petition on barring the deportation of
Afghan Taliban leaders on Monday, Justice Sharif rebutted
arguments by a lawyer that US security firm Blackwater and
Hindus were involved in terrorist attacks and remarked that
"Muslims and not Hindus are involved in terror acts in
He had contended that Hindus "might be the financiers"
of such attacks.
Lal said if a country was suspected of sponsoring such
attacks it should be named but blame should not be put on the
Hindus who were as patriotic as other Pakistanis.
He drew the attention of President Asif Ali Zardari
and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to the worry caused to
Hindus by the judge`s remarks and appealed to Supreme Court
Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry to take suo moto notice of the
Some ministers and lawmakers sought to assuage the
feelings of Lal but he was not satisfied and walked out of the
Lal was joined by other Hindu lawmakers and members of
the Awami National Party in the walk out, described as the
first protest in Parliament against the judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?