Pak’s Khar to visit Kabul for talks on Taliban
Islamabad: Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar will visit Kabul on February 1 to boost Pakistan-Afghanistan ties and efforts to engage the Taliban that were affected by the assassination of former Afghan president Burhanuddin Rabbani last year.
Khar will become the first Pakistani woman politician to lead a delegation to Afghanistan when she arrives in Kabul on a daylong trip.
The visit is being seen as "an icebreaker in bilateral ties", The News daily quoted its sources as saying.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani decided to send Khar to Afghanistan to shore up bilateral ties during a meeting held on January 24.
That meeting had focussed on the regional security situation and the reconciliation process in Afghanistan. After a gap of several months, Pakistan and Afghanistan have quietly revived efforts to engage the Afghan Taliban ahead of the withdrawal of US troops from the war-torn country.
Ties between Islamabad and Kabul were hit by the assassination of Afghan High Peace Council chief Rabbani, which Afghan leaders blamed on elements based on Pakistani soil.
Premier Gilani and Afghan President Hamid Karzai had a very tense meeting on the sidelines of the SAARC Summit in the Maldives last year.
Pakistan’s Foreign Office has said it is committed to working with Afghanistan to identify Rabbani’s killers. During a recent address in parliament, Khar said Rabbani`s assassin had travelled to Afghanistan from a refugee camp in Pakistan but the two sides have made little headway in identifying those who planned the killing.
At the same time, the Foreign Office has reiterated that Pakistan will support any Afghan-led reconciliation process in Afghanistan.
Analysts have noted that Islamabad is keen to re-engage with Kabul as it wants to curtail the role India will play in Afghanistan following the withdrawal of US troops.
It is believed that Turkey played a key role in easing tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Islamabad and Kabul are resuming their engagement at a time when the US is conducting secret negotiations with the Afghan Taliban in Qatar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27