Pak’s N-arsenal is against India `threat`: Mullen
Washington: Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, Admiral Mike Mullen, has said that Pakistan sees India as a threat, and having nuclear weapons “is a huge part of their national security”.
“These are the most important weapons in the Pakistani arsenal. That is understood by the leadership and they make extraordinary efforts to protect and secure them. These are their crown jewels,” The Daily Times quoted Mullen, as saying.
“As much as we’re focused on this (terrorism) threat and the Pakistanis are more than they used to be, they see a threat in India and (having nuclear weapons) is their deterrent. They see this as a huge part of their national security,” he added.
Mullen further said that US is working hard to regain Pakistan’s trust following years of estrangement in the pre-9/11 period, but the effort is going to take time.
“I’ve seen significant commitments in the whole of the (US) government. It’s not going to happen overnight,” he added.
He also highlighted that strong relations with Pakistan are important to root out terrorism in the AfPak region.
“We agree that Afghanistan needs to be stable and peaceful. How we get there, and the long-term commitment is critical. That’s a huge part of the engagement strategy with Pakistan,“ Mullen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!