Pak’s N-arsenal is against India `threat`: Mullen
Washington: Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, Admiral Mike Mullen, has said that Pakistan sees India as a threat, and having nuclear weapons “is a huge part of their national security”.
“These are the most important weapons in the Pakistani arsenal. That is understood by the leadership and they make extraordinary efforts to protect and secure them. These are their crown jewels,” The Daily Times quoted Mullen, as saying.
“As much as we’re focused on this (terrorism) threat and the Pakistanis are more than they used to be, they see a threat in India and (having nuclear weapons) is their deterrent. They see this as a huge part of their national security,” he added.
Mullen further said that US is working hard to regain Pakistan’s trust following years of estrangement in the pre-9/11 period, but the effort is going to take time.
“I’ve seen significant commitments in the whole of the (US) government. It’s not going to happen overnight,” he added.
He also highlighted that strong relations with Pakistan are important to root out terrorism in the AfPak region.
“We agree that Afghanistan needs to be stable and peaceful. How we get there, and the long-term commitment is critical. That’s a huge part of the engagement strategy with Pakistan,“ Mullen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks