Pak`s new PM to get a helipad at his house
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has landed in a controversy after it was reported that a helipad will be built at his private residence in Punjab province, 40 kms from here.
Police in Rawalpindi district have proposed the construction of a helipad near Ashraf`s home in Sungral village of Gujar Khan area on the outskirts of Islamabad, the Dawn quoted its sources as saying.
The move is aimed at avoiding "inconvenience during VVIP security duty", the report said.
However, detractors of the Pakistan People`s Party-led government have criticised the move in the light of the country`s economic woes.
A leader of the main opposition PML-N said Ashraf was enjoying all the perks of being a PM while ignoring the country`s economic problems.
Some police officers defended the move, saying helipads had been added to private residences of other VVIPs following attacks on politicians by the Taliban and other militant groups.
The helipad will be located next to the residential portion of Ashraf`s house and police personnel from the wireless wing would be deployed there, the report said.
Ashraf`s house, spread over 18 kanals of land, is located over 45 km from Rawalpindi.
If a VVIP like Ashraf travels by road to Sungral, security agencies need to cover 360 points along the route, the report said.
An unnamed senior police officer said deployment of security personnel on the route would be difficult in view of the distance between the Prime Minister`s House Islamabad and Ashraf`s private residence.
"Therefore, it has been proposed that a helipad should be built there on an urgent basis to avoid inconvenience," the officer said.
After assuming office last week, Ashraf said his government`s first priority would be to address crippling power cuts and economic problems.
Ashraf became the premier after the Supreme Court last week dismissed his predecessor, Yousuf Raza Gilani, following his conviction of contempt for refusing to reopen corruption cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what