Pak’s volte-face: `No change in Siachen policy`
Islamabad: A day after Pakistan Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said his country favoured talks with India to demilitarise Siachen, the world`s highest battleground, Islamabad on Thursday said there was no change in its stance on the disputed glacier.
Foreign Office spokesperson Moazzam Ali Khan said here that Pakistan has made no change in its stance on the Siachen glacier.
"It is in our mutual interest that we address all the issues in a meaningful and result-oriented manner," Geo News quoted Khan as saying.
Referring to the April 08 meeting between President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi‚ the spokesperson said the two leaders underlined the importance of a pragmatic and practical solution of all outstanding issues.
He said the next Pakistan-India Defence Secretary-level talks will be held in Pakistan and the date for the meeting was being finalised.
Pakistan on Thursday said the Siachen glacier was part of the dialogue process with India.
General Kayani said on Wednesday that his country favoured talks with India to demilitarise the Siachen glacier.
"Peaceful coexistence between the two neighbours is very important so that everybody can concentrate on the well-being of the people," he said.
After visiting the Gayari Army base that was hit by a massive avalanche April 07 entombing nearly 140 soldiers, the Army Chief said Pakistan was open to talks with India to demilitarise Siachen.
"Both countries should sit together to resolve all the issues including Siachen," Kayani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre