Panel on Pak scribe’s killing gets phone record
Islamabad: A judicial commission probing the abduction and murder of journalist Saleem Shahzad has received his mobile phone record, a media report said on Thursday.
Dawn said that the panel got the unofficial record of Shahzad`s cellphone on Wednesday.
Shahzad, 40, was kidnapped in Islamabad on May 29 and his body, bearing marks of severe torture, was found in a canal in Pakistan`s Punjab province two days later.
He is widely believed to have been seized by intelligence officials for alleging in an article that terrorists attacked a naval base in Karachi after the Navy refused to free sailors held for suspected militant links.
The commission, after analysing the phone record, asked television anchor Asma Chaudhry and her talk show producer Ismat to record their statements since Shahzad had telephoned Ismat at around 5 pm on May 29.
They have both told the commission that Shahzad said during the call he was leaving his house and would reach their office in time for recording the programme related to the attack on PNS Mehran airbase in Karachi.
"When he did not turn up, we called him at his cellphone at 5.40 pm, but it was switched off. Later, we recorded the programme without Mr Shahzad," Asma was quoted as saying.
The commission has also been told that Shahzad`s body bore 15 marks of torture, but no bullet wounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt