Panetta discusses Afghanistan with French minister
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta on Sunday met his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian, to discuss plans for transition in Afghanistan.
"Today Secretary Panetta met with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian to discuss the upcoming NATO Summit and plans for transition in Afghanistan," the Pentagon said in a statement.
"Panetta and Le Drian discussed strategies for investing in defence during times of austerity and looked forward to the conversation on defense capabilities at the NATO Chicago Summit," the Pentagon said in a statement.
This was the first meeting between the two leaders after Le Drian took over following recent elections in France.
The US Defense Secretary congratulated Le Drian on his appointment as Defence Minister.
Panetta emphasised the outstanding cooperation between the two nations on many defense issues, and thanked Le Drian particularly for the significant contributions that France has made to ISAF.
The two ministers committed to working closely together on Iran, Syria, and the Arab Spring, where Secretary Panetta praised French leadership and resolve in addressing these challenges, the Pentagon said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof