Panetta discusses Afghanistan with French minister
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta on Sunday met his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian, to discuss plans for transition in Afghanistan.
"Today Secretary Panetta met with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian to discuss the upcoming NATO Summit and plans for transition in Afghanistan," the Pentagon said in a statement.
"Panetta and Le Drian discussed strategies for investing in defence during times of austerity and looked forward to the conversation on defense capabilities at the NATO Chicago Summit," the Pentagon said in a statement.
This was the first meeting between the two leaders after Le Drian took over following recent elections in France.
The US Defense Secretary congratulated Le Drian on his appointment as Defence Minister.
Panetta emphasised the outstanding cooperation between the two nations on many defense issues, and thanked Le Drian particularly for the significant contributions that France has made to ISAF.
The two ministers committed to working closely together on Iran, Syria, and the Arab Spring, where Secretary Panetta praised French leadership and resolve in addressing these challenges, the Pentagon said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened