Panetta discusses Afghanistan with Hammond
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has met his British counterpart Philip Hammond and discussed the importance of supporting a sustainable Afghan national security force, the Pentagon said.
"They discussed the unfolding transition in Afghanistan, the importance of supporting a sustainable Afghan National Security Force, and the need to frame an effective enduring relationship with Afghanistan beyond 2014," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
The meeting between the two leaders took place yesterday in Chicago on the sidelines of the crucial NATO Summit, where member nations are scheduled to discuss the Afghan transition and the way forward.
Panetta and Hammond, Little said, also touched on broader security challenges in Southwest Asia, as well as the P5+1 process with Iran and the on-going crisis in Syria.
"Finally, they signalled support for identifying ways to strengthen NATO capabilities," Little said.
This was one of the main topics of conversation at a dinner hosted by Panetta for his counterparts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak
- It's Official! LG V20 to be world’s first phone with Android 7.0 Nougat
- Is marriage on the cards for Nargis Fakhri? READ full story
- Sensex regains 28K level, up 118 points in early trade
- Sepp Blatter in last fight against six-year FIFA ban