Panetta for placing conditions on US aid to Pak
Washington: The US should place conditions on release of about USD 3.5 billion aid to Pakistan based on "what we expect them to do", Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has told the Congress.
Short of recommending stopping of aid to Pakistan, Panetta, in a testimony to a Senate`s appropriations panel, said the US would have to be careful about shutting the aid down.
Instead, he said he favoured placing conditions on aid based on "what we expect them to do". His testimony is crucial as influential lawmakers infuriated by Islamabad`s closure of supply routes to NATO forces in Afghanistan and stalling of a crackdown on Haqqani network are pressing for blockage of aid to the country.
The Obama Administration has requested Congress for about USD 3.5 billion aid in military and economic assistance for Pakistan for fiscal 2013, Washington Post reported.
Panatta said that Pakistan`s seven-month-long refusal to allow US and NATO supplies to cross its territory into Afghanistan is costing America an additional USD 100 million a month to fund alternative routes.
The Defence Secretary`s testimony was the first time the Obama Administration has put a dollar figure on the extra amount. Pakistan closed its border to NATO transit in November, after a US cross-border air assault inadvertently killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
Washington Post said that the Pentagon and the Pakistani negotiators have agreed on a new payment structure for the transit, but the deal was stalled over Islamabad`s demand for an apology for the killing of its soldiers.
The Obama administration has expressed "regret" and offered condolences, but it has said that an apology is unnecessary for an incident in which Pentagon investigators found fault on both sides.
The apology issue has become a political lightning rod in Pakistan, where anti-American sentiment runs high. In the United States, Congress and the administration have grown increasingly irate over what is seen as Pakistani intransigence.
During a visit to the region last weekend, Panetta said the United States was "reaching the limits of...Patience" with Pakistan.
Until the border closure, Pakistan was the main transit route for the vast bulk of US and NATO supplies for the Afghanistan war, with goods arriving by ship at the Karachi port and trucked in cargo containers across the border.
Most of the goods now enter Afghanistan from the north, via Russia and Central Asia, at significantly higher expense. The costs are expected to mount when US troop withdrawals are stepped up later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM