Paramilitary to provide security for Pak by-polls
Lahore: Paramilitary troops have been
called in to provide security for parliamentary by-elections
to be held in Punjab province tomorrow following a suicide car
bomb attack on a special investigation unit of police in this
eastern Pakistani city.
The Pakistan Rangers will provide security for
by-polls to be held in four constituencies in Punjab,
including one seat in Lahore.
The government was left with no option but to deploy
the paramilitary troops after yesterday`s suicide attack as a
report of the Punjab home department had declared that all
four constituencies are "very sensitive".
Yesterday`s suicide car bomb attack on the special
investigation unit in Model Town area of Lahore killed 13
people, including police officials, and injured about 80
Earlier, opposition parties had demanded the
deployment of the Pakistan Rangers for the by-polls to check
Former premier and PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif had
earlier planned o contest the by-elections from the
constituency in Lahore but he recently withdrew from the race
on the advice of party leaders.
There has been tension in the constituency in Lahore
between the candidates of the PML-N, Jamaat-e-Islami and
Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaaf, the party led by
cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof