Paranoid about India, Pak eyes N-arsenal expansion
London: The acceleration of Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal is being driven by its ‘paranoia’ about India, according to a newspaper analysis.
Pakistan is desperate to increase its nuclear arsenal size as it eyes India`s rapidly growing economy and population. Although the numbers of weapons held by either country are small in comparison, the result of the nuclear competition between the two countries is reminiscent of the Cold War arms race between the US and USSR, an analysis in The Telegraph said.
While the perceived threat is China in India`s case, for Pakistan, the presumed enemy is India, and paranoia is driving the acceleration of Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal, it added.
Unable to match India`s defence expenditure, economy and population, Islamabad has relied on nuclear technology since the 1970s to provide a deterrent.
The latest escalation in tensions - with Pakistan saying it wants to maintain parity of stocks with India, which recently unveiled a nuclear-powered submarine - will come as no surprise to analysts, the report said.
Diplomatic cables released by whistle blower website WikiLeaks have provided snippets of information on Pakistan`s nuclear programme.
In a memo dated December 2008, Peter Lavoy, an intelligence officer briefing NATO’s Permanent Representatives on Afghanistan and Pakistan, stated that despite looming economic meltdown, "Pakistan was producing nuclear weapons at a faster rate than any other country in the world".
Earlier that year, India and US signed a civil nuclear accord, sending shock waves through Pakistan where the deal was seen as allowing New Delhi access to international supplies of uranium for civilian projects- freeing domestic reserves for military use.
Other leaked cables also suggest that analysts believe Pakistan is concentrating on developing smaller, mobile nuclear devices to counter India`s conventional battlefield forces, and so need more fissile material, the report said.
Since then, India has won backing from the US to join a series of international nuclear forums, increasing Pakistan`s sense of isolation and nudging it closer to China, which recently announced plans to build a fifth civilian reactor for its ally, added the report, noting that the ‘result is a South Asian nuclear build-up’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks