Paranoid about India, Pak eyes N-arsenal expansion
London: The acceleration of Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal is being driven by its ‘paranoia’ about India, according to a newspaper analysis.
Pakistan is desperate to increase its nuclear arsenal size as it eyes India`s rapidly growing economy and population. Although the numbers of weapons held by either country are small in comparison, the result of the nuclear competition between the two countries is reminiscent of the Cold War arms race between the US and USSR, an analysis in The Telegraph said.
While the perceived threat is China in India`s case, for Pakistan, the presumed enemy is India, and paranoia is driving the acceleration of Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal, it added.
Unable to match India`s defence expenditure, economy and population, Islamabad has relied on nuclear technology since the 1970s to provide a deterrent.
The latest escalation in tensions - with Pakistan saying it wants to maintain parity of stocks with India, which recently unveiled a nuclear-powered submarine - will come as no surprise to analysts, the report said.
Diplomatic cables released by whistle blower website WikiLeaks have provided snippets of information on Pakistan`s nuclear programme.
In a memo dated December 2008, Peter Lavoy, an intelligence officer briefing NATO’s Permanent Representatives on Afghanistan and Pakistan, stated that despite looming economic meltdown, "Pakistan was producing nuclear weapons at a faster rate than any other country in the world".
Earlier that year, India and US signed a civil nuclear accord, sending shock waves through Pakistan where the deal was seen as allowing New Delhi access to international supplies of uranium for civilian projects- freeing domestic reserves for military use.
Other leaked cables also suggest that analysts believe Pakistan is concentrating on developing smaller, mobile nuclear devices to counter India`s conventional battlefield forces, and so need more fissile material, the report said.
Since then, India has won backing from the US to join a series of international nuclear forums, increasing Pakistan`s sense of isolation and nudging it closer to China, which recently announced plans to build a fifth civilian reactor for its ally, added the report, noting that the ‘result is a South Asian nuclear build-up’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM