`Parliament, not judiciary, supreme in Pakistan`
Lahore: Former Pakistan’s Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) president Asma Jahangir has stressed that the Parliament rather than the judiciary is supreme in the country in the wake of the ongoing probe into the Memogate scandal.
Asma said she had reservations on several Supreme Court decisions but the court verdicts must be implemented, The Daily Times reports.
She said the judiciary had disregarded several decisions of Parliament and “approved military rules in the past”.
Asma said that judges should contest elections if they wanted to indulge in politics.
She urged the judiciary not to just stick to the National Reconciliation Order (NRO) issue and also take up “thousands of other pending cases”.
The National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) was a controversial ordinance issued by the former president General Pervez Musharraf on October 05, 2007, which granted amnesty to politicians, political workers and bureaucrats who were accused of corruption, embezzlement, money laundering, murder, and terrorism.
It was declared unconstitutional by the Pakistan Supreme Court on December 16, 2009.
Asma said she has failed to understand the Supreme Court’s January 10 verdict on the NRO issue, adding that it is a “complicated issue and I have never favoured it”.
The apex court had warned Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani of a possible disqualification from office over non-implementation of its NRO verdict for the past two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi