‘Party to challenge Gilani contempt case ruling’
Rawalpindi: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan has announced that his party would challenge the ruling of the National Assembly (NA) speaker on the conviction of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani in a contempt case.
NA speaker Dr Fehmida Mirza had taken her decision in favour of Gilani, by refusing to send a reference against him to the Election Commission, and dismissing a court order and a subsequent petition that sought his disqualification, following his conviction by the Supreme Court in a contempt case last month.
Addressing a huge crowd at Rawalpindi`s historic Liaquat Bagh, Khan announced that he would file a petition in the apex court on Monday, reports The Express Tribune.
"If the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP)`s government continues dishonouring the SC order, we will march to Islamabad to establish the rule of law in the country," Khan was quoted, as saying.
According to official sources, the number of participants at Liaquat Bagh was around 90,000.
Khan alleged that the PPP was violating the apex court judgments to conceal the corruption of President Asif Ali Zardari. The president, Khan continued, was ‘the mother of all ills in the country’ including power outages, corruption, inflation and unemployment.
Khan also referred to the failure of public sector entities, saying that the reason behind rising inflation was losses accrued in the power sector, Pakistan International Airlines, Pakistan Railways and Pakistan Steel Mills.
He said the government had spent Rs 1,000 billion in the power sector but had failed to overcome the electricity crisis.
Khan said if voted to power, his party would tax the wealthy class to make the country a welfare state.
"This government has continuously been taxing the poor and middle classes to make up for the losses caused by corruption and mismanagement of the ruling elite," Khan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued