‘Party to challenge Gilani contempt case ruling’
Rawalpindi: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan has announced that his party would challenge the ruling of the National Assembly (NA) speaker on the conviction of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani in a contempt case.
NA speaker Dr Fehmida Mirza had taken her decision in favour of Gilani, by refusing to send a reference against him to the Election Commission, and dismissing a court order and a subsequent petition that sought his disqualification, following his conviction by the Supreme Court in a contempt case last month.
Addressing a huge crowd at Rawalpindi`s historic Liaquat Bagh, Khan announced that he would file a petition in the apex court on Monday, reports The Express Tribune.
"If the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP)`s government continues dishonouring the SC order, we will march to Islamabad to establish the rule of law in the country," Khan was quoted, as saying.
According to official sources, the number of participants at Liaquat Bagh was around 90,000.
Khan alleged that the PPP was violating the apex court judgments to conceal the corruption of President Asif Ali Zardari. The president, Khan continued, was ‘the mother of all ills in the country’ including power outages, corruption, inflation and unemployment.
Khan also referred to the failure of public sector entities, saying that the reason behind rising inflation was losses accrued in the power sector, Pakistan International Airlines, Pakistan Railways and Pakistan Steel Mills.
He said the government had spent Rs 1,000 billion in the power sector but had failed to overcome the electricity crisis.
Khan said if voted to power, his party would tax the wealthy class to make the country a welfare state.
"This government has continuously been taxing the poor and middle classes to make up for the losses caused by corruption and mismanagement of the ruling elite," Khan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site