‘Party to challenge Gilani contempt case ruling’
Rawalpindi: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan has announced that his party would challenge the ruling of the National Assembly (NA) speaker on the conviction of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani in a contempt case.
NA speaker Dr Fehmida Mirza had taken her decision in favour of Gilani, by refusing to send a reference against him to the Election Commission, and dismissing a court order and a subsequent petition that sought his disqualification, following his conviction by the Supreme Court in a contempt case last month.
Addressing a huge crowd at Rawalpindi`s historic Liaquat Bagh, Khan announced that he would file a petition in the apex court on Monday, reports The Express Tribune.
"If the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP)`s government continues dishonouring the SC order, we will march to Islamabad to establish the rule of law in the country," Khan was quoted, as saying.
According to official sources, the number of participants at Liaquat Bagh was around 90,000.
Khan alleged that the PPP was violating the apex court judgments to conceal the corruption of President Asif Ali Zardari. The president, Khan continued, was ‘the mother of all ills in the country’ including power outages, corruption, inflation and unemployment.
Khan also referred to the failure of public sector entities, saying that the reason behind rising inflation was losses accrued in the power sector, Pakistan International Airlines, Pakistan Railways and Pakistan Steel Mills.
He said the government had spent Rs 1,000 billion in the power sector but had failed to overcome the electricity crisis.
Khan said if voted to power, his party would tax the wealthy class to make the country a welfare state.
"This government has continuously been taxing the poor and middle classes to make up for the losses caused by corruption and mismanagement of the ruling elite," Khan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog