Peace necessary for fair general elections in Pak: SC
Karachi: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Friday asked authorities to maintain peace to ensure fairness in the upcoming general elections, as it criticised the government and the security forces for failing to prevent continued violence in the country`s biggest city.
"If your family lives in fear, then how can a fair election be held peacefully, which is a constitutional requirement?" said Khilji Arif Hussain, one of five Supreme Court judges investigating a massive bombing in Karachi.
Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhary is heading the larger bench, comprising Justice Khawaja, Justice Hussain, Justice Amir Hani Muslim and Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, which is holding hearings here after taking suo moto notice of Abbas town blasts and the deteriorating law and order situation in Pakistan`s port city.
Justice Hussain during today`s hearing remarked that the general elections should be held in a peaceful atmosphere with citizens provided with a sense of security to go and cast their votes.
His remarks came after the bench criticised the Sindh government and law enforcement agencies for failing completely to provide security and peace to the citizens of the city.
About 50 people were killed and at least 135 injured in the Abbas town blasts on Sunday in Gulshan-e-Iqbal area.
The Sindh police earned the wrath of the court and media after presenting six people as the culprits behind the bombings. Later it emerged the men had been arrested before the bombings took place for petty crimes.
Justice Khilji observed that if a person lives in fear constantly how can he go and cast his vote out of his own free will.
Meanwhile, President Asif Ali Zardari has instructed the Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah to take immediate steps to rehabilitate the victims of Abbas Town blasts and provide them with apartments.
Zardari held a meeting with the Chief Minister, provincial ministers, and the chief secretary of Sindh at the Chief Ministers` house and asked them to start relief efforts immediately.
Regarding the allotment of apartments, the Sindh government was instructed that the relatives of the deceased should be preferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception