People in Pakistan ‘poor’, lawmakers `royal`
Islamabad: The lifestyle of Pakistani parliamentarians is like that of royalty and in stark contrast to that of "the vast majority of the people have to deal with the much harsher realities of poverty, inflation and a struggle to put food on the table", said a leading daily.
An editorial in the Dawn on Saturday said: "Every year we view the statements of our parliamentarians` assets with a mixture of amusement, disbelief and frustration, perhaps because those who represent the people of Pakistan live luxurious lives worlds away from the misery that confronts the public."
It said that considering the immense wealth of many of the elected representatives, "it is not out of place to compare their lifestyles with those of royalty".
"While many parliamentarians are living the good life, the vast majority of the people of this country have to deal with the much harsher realities of poverty, inflation and a struggle to put food on the table," it said.
The daily cited the example of the Balochistan Minister for Home and Tribal Affairs who owns over 24,000 acres of land.
"While some very wealthy lawmakers represent the country`s most underdeveloped province, parliamentarians from the other provinces are also doing quite well.”
"A number of lawmakers in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly own assets worth tens of millions of rupees while Sindh`s food minister owns assets worth over Rs 1.5 billion. Legislators in these three assemblies own considerable stashes of gold, silver and precious stones, while several own real estate in the US, Britain, Canada and Dubai."
Stating that there is nothing wrong with making or having money, the editorial said: "...the electorate needs to know if the income their representatives possess is legitimate and if tax has been paid on it".
"The declaration of assets is a positive thing, yet we need to move a step ahead and analyse if these assets are lawful and taxed," it added.
"Elected representatives must set an example by assuring the people that their sources of income are legitimate and that they pay their fair share of taxes. Such steps are essential for transparency, good governance and a healthy democracy," said the editorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe