`Persons responsible for memo should be exposed`
Islamabad: The persons responsible for the alleged memo that sought US help to prevent a possible military coup in Pakistan should be exposed as the matter involved the country`s sovereignty and national interests, PML-N chief and former prime minister Nawaz Sharif said on Monday.
The PML-N has not blamed anyone, including the government, for the Memogate scandal but those behind this conspiracy should be unmasked before the people, Sharif told the media after appearing before the judicial commission that is investigating the matter.
"It is a grave matter and someone has hatched a conspiracy. They should be exposed. The secret memo was a conspiracy against the country’s sovereignty, vital interests and vital assets," he said.
Asked about President Asif Ali Zardari`s remarks that he would accept the findings of a parliamentary panel that is investigating the memo issue, Sharif said this reflected the government’s attitude towards the judiciary.
"It shows the government`s defiance of the judiciary. It is an expression of no-confidence in the judiciary of Pakistan and the commission. That is why the government is facing problems," he said.
In response to another question on Zardari`s assertion that the government would not write to Swiss authorities to reopen a graft case against the President, Sharif said the USD 60 million that was allegedly laundered through Swiss banks was public money and should be brought back to Pakistan.
Sharif also took exception to Zardari`s comments that reopening the Swiss cases would be tantamount to putting the grave of his wife, former premier Benazir Bhutto, on trial.
"They should not link the Swiss cases to Benazir Bhutto`s grave," he said.
The former premier further said it was "a matter of happiness" that former president Pervez Musharraf had announced his plan to return to Pakistan from self-exile. He did not say how his party would react once Musharraf returns to the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea