Pervez Musharraf fails to appear before court
Islamabad: Embattled former Pakistani dictator Pervez Musharraf today failed to appear before a special court, with his legal team seeking that the hearing in the high treason case be adjourned for five weeks.
Musharraf was supposed to appear before the court to face treason charges for suspending, subverting and abrogating the Constitution, imposing an emergency in the country in November 2007 and detaining judges of the superior courts.
70-year-old Musharraf`s lawyers today submitted an application to exempt him from appearing before the court and to adjourn the case for a period of five weeks.
The application said that Musharraf had called for the November 3, 2007, emergency in his capacity as the country`s military chief and he could only be tried by a military court in that respect.
If convicted, the former president could face life imprisonment or the death penalty.
This is the first time in Pakistan`s history that a former military ruler is facing trial for treason.
Meanwhile, reports said one kg of explosives was found from the Musharraf`s route this morning which was later defused by Bomb Disposal Squad.
Earlier, five packets of explosives were found near Musharraf`s Chak Shahzad farmhouse here on December 30.
On December 24, a five kg bomb was also recovered from Musharraf?s route to the special court after which the Court had postponed the hearing for today.
Musharraf`s lawyer had then said security threats had prevented Musharraf from appearing before the court.
His trial is taking place at the National Library here which is the heavily secured Red Zone here that houses all important institutions like the Prime Minister`s House, Supreme Court and the Diplomatic Enclave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read