Pervez Musharraf knew where Osama was hiding, new book says
Washington; Former Pakistani military dictator Pervez Musharraf possibly knew about slain al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and his place of hiding, an eminent British journalist who reported for years from Afghanistan and Pakistan for the New York Times has claimed.
In her latest book, "The Wrong Enemy: America in Afghanistan 2001-2004", journalist Carlotta Gall has sourced her startling revelation to a retired Pakistani general Talat Masood.
"If allowed to proceed, the court cases may unravel some of the remaining mysteries of the Musharraf era," Gall writes in her book.
Musharraf is currently facing treason charges in a Pakistani court, besides other cases.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, the book is scheduled to go on sale in April 8.
"One day as he sat at home in Islamabad, the retired general Talat Masood was watching an interview with Musharraf on television, Masood was struck by something the general said. Musharraf was talking about (Osama) bin Laden and as was often the case, he was talking too much," she writes.
"It dawned on Masood that the former army chief had known about bin Laden and where he was hiding. It was a statement he made in the interview," he told me.
"I got a feeling that he knew," Gall said in her book that makes startling revelation and runs into over 300 pages.
Bin Laden was eventually killed in a US commando raid on his hideout in Pakistan`s Abbottabad town in May, 2011.
Masood is the same general who after 9/11 urged Musharraf, the then president of Pakistan, to abandon his policy of supporting terrorism.
But Musharraf, according to the book, argued that he would "compartmentalise" the support between al Qaeda and Kashmiri terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty