`Pervez Musharraf responsible for 2007 Lal Masjid operation`
Islamabad: The Lal Masjid commission report has held former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf, former prime minister Shaukat Aziz and his political allies, responsible for the 2007 operation on the mosque in which 103 people were killed.
The commission, consisting of Justice Shehzada Sheikh of the Federal Shariat Court (FSC), recommended that those responsible for the operation should have murder cases registered against them and suggested that the former rulers of the country should be forced to pay compensations to the aggrieved families, reports The Dawn.
The report, that was submitted to the Supreme Court by the commission on March 22, 2013, said that it was quite clear from the number, level and nature of state actors, that they could have only moved, maneuvered and acted on all-inclusive direction and potent command.
This also shows that the coalition partners in power, particularly the prime minister and the cabinet were not absolutely in the dark, it added.
In evasive statements, according to reports, public office holders admitted negligence or failure to take cognizance of the human tragedy by not responding to the situation through their own judgments and decisions and not implementing the writ of the government.
It added that the prime minister and cabinet members "share responsibility which clearly carries liability with criminality".
The commission held that Shaukat Aziz was in the loop along with the cabinet members and coalition partners as his compliant team.
The commission also gave some short term and long term recommendations to fix the wrongs that were committed during the Lal Masjid incident.
It recommended that the aggrieved families should be given compensation in accordance with the Islamic laws.
And that any person who was injured or disabled in the incident may also be paid compensation and given coverage for complete medical treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...