Pervez Musharraf`s nomination papers accepted from third seat
Islamabad: Pervez Musharraf`s nomination papers for a parliamentary constituency in the port city of Karachi were rejected on Sunday while his papers for another seat in northern Pakistan were accepted by election authorities.
Election officials rejected the former military ruler`s papers for parliamentary constituency number 250 in Karachi.
Jamaat-e-Islami leader Niyamatullah Khan, who intends to contest the May 11 polls from the same seat, had yesterday objected to Musharraf?s candidature on the ground that he had twice violated and the Constitution and placed judges under house arrest after declaring an emergency in 2007.
The Returning Officer rejected Musharraf`s papers for the steps he had taken against members of the judiciary, officials said.
Musharraf`s nomination papers for another parliamentary constituency at Chitral in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province were accepted by authorities. The former President enjoys considerable support in Chitral as several development projects were started in the region during his regime.
A man named Syed Tariq Ali has also objected to nomination papers filed by Musharraf for another parliamentary constituency in Islamabad.
The Returning Officer for a constituency at Kasur in Punjab had rejected Musharraf`s nomination papers on Friday on the ground that the signature did not match the one on his national identity card.
A lawyer, Javid Kasuri, too had objected to Musharraf’s candidature in Kasur on the ground that the former President had violated Articles 62 and 63 of the Constitution, which specify that candidates should have a "good character" and be "sagacious, righteous and non-profligate".
Musharraf had filed papers to contest the general election from four parliamentary seats in Karachi, Islamabad, Chitral and Kasur.
Meanwhile, a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry will take up tomorrow a petition filed by former Rawalpindi High Court Bar Association president Taufiq Asif seeking Musharraf?s trial for treason.
Asif`s petition was clubbed with two other applications seeking similar action against Musharraf,court officials said.
At the hearing tomorrow, the bench will decide whether treason proceedings should be initiated against Musharraf, who recently returned to Pakistan after nearly four years in self-exile. The PML-N has filed an application in the Election Commission seeking Musharraf’s disqualification on the ground that he is an accused in four cases, including the assassination of Benazir Bhutto and the killing of Baloch leader Akbar Bugti in a 2006 military operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’