Peshawar attack: US investigators begin probe
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 15:49
Peshawar: A four-member team of American investigators today began their probe into the terrorist attack on the US consulate here that killed at least three persons before six assailants were gunned down.

The US team, soon after its arrival from Islamabad, visited the site of yesterday's audacious attack and collected evidence.

They also took photographs of the site, littered with rubble from nearby buildings that were damaged in the attack.

A group of heavily armed militants set off explosives and fired with automatic weapons in an attempt to storm the US consulate.

Two Pakistani guards at the consulate were among those killed in the attack.

The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the strike and warned more attacks against Americans.

Local police said they had found the engines of the two explosives-laden vehicles used by the attackers.

The engines have been sent for forensic tests.

Officials said the bodies of the attackers were mutilated by the explosions and they are yet to be identified.

North West Frontier Province police chief Malik Naveed Khan has formed a two-member team headed by Peshawar police chief Liaquat Khan to probe the attack.

This was the first time in four years a US mission in Pakistan was attacked by terrorists. The last attack on an American mission in Pakistan was in Karachi in 2006.

The blasts in Peshawar occurred hours after a suicide bomber struck a political gathering at Timergara in Lower Dir district, killing nearly 50 people and injuring about 100 others.

45 people injured in the attacks in Timergara and Peshawar are being treated at the Lady Reading Hospital and officials described the condition of three of them as critical.

The Awami National Party, whose workers were killed in the attack in Timergara, has called for mourning across the NWFP.


First Published: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 15:49

comments powered by Disqus