Petition in Pak seeks removal of ISI chief
Islamabad: A petition seeking the immediate
removal of ISI chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha has been filed
in Pakistan`s Supreme Court, alleging his involvement in
efforts to oust President Asif Ali Zardari.
In his petition filed on Monday, Communist Party of
Pakistan chairman Jameel Ahmed contended that Pasha was not
eligible to hold the high post.
He based his petition on articles in the foreign media
which said Pasha had allegedly sought and received approval
from Arab leaders to sack President Zardari.
"Till date these allegations have not been denied by both
the ISI Director General and the Inter-Services Public
Relations," Ahmed said.
He requested the apex court to declare that Pasha`s
continuance in office was in direct contravention of Article
244 of the Constitution, which deals with the oath of the
As interim relief, the court should direct the federal
government to suspend the ISI chief till the disposal of the
petition, Ahmed said.
Controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz
has claimed that Pasha visited several Arab countries to seek
approval for the ouster of Zardari after the May 2 US raid
that killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad.
Ijaz also made public the alleged memo in which US help
was sought to prevent a feared coup in Pakistan after the
killing of bin Laden.
Ahmed said in his petition: "If whatever stated by
Mansoor Ijaz about the `memogate` is correct, then what about
his opinion concerning the ISI (DG) that he got approval from
the Arab world for the removal of the President."
He added: "This is alarming and shows involvement of the
Ahmed contended that Pasha`s alleged meetings with Arab
leaders certainly came under the purview of politics.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has had to face
embarrassing questions from the media on whether Pasha had
sought his permission to visit Arab countries in the aftermath
of the raid against bin Laden.
Bushra Gohar, a senior leader of the Awami National
Party, which is part of the ruling coalition, has demanded
that the ISI chief should resign following Mansoor Ijaz`s
Shortly after the US raid in Abbottabad, Pasha had
secretly visited China, Saudi Arabia and some other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Australia lead India as South Africa slip to 6th in ICC Test rankings
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Three detained by police
- WATCH: SHOCKING! When Ashish Nehra abused Mahendra Singh Dhoni for dropping Shahid Afridi's catch
- 58 weightlifters caught for doping last year: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- PM Modi wants BJP MPs, ministers to highlight govt's schemes like LPG coverage, electrification of villages