Photo of slain Taliban chief posted on jihadi websites
Islamabad: A photograph purportedly released on Monday by the Pakistani Taliban shows its slain chief Hakimullah Mehsud after he was killed in a US drone strike in North Waziristan region.
The photo, whose authenticity could not be independently confirmed, shows Mehsud lying on a white sheet with bloodstains on his face. It was posted on several jihadi websites and a Facebook page.
Mehsud was killed with other militants when a CIA-operated spy plane targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan agency on Friday. His death threw into disarray the Pakistan government`s plans to hold talks with the Taliban.
Known as a ruthless commander, Mehsud first came to prominence after orchestrating audacious raids against the Pakistan Army.
He started as a bodyguard to Baitullah Mehsud, another Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief who was killed in a drone strike in 2009, and later became his close aide.
Mehsud also served as a spokesman for Baitullah before succeeding him.
It was in 2007, after the capture of 300 Pakistani soldiers, that Mehsud`s name and prestige among the Taliban rose dramatically. He was made the Taliban commander in Khyber, Orakzai and Kurram tribal regions and was regarded as the mastermind behind attacks on NATO supply trucks.
In 2010, Mehsud appeared with a Jordanian militant in a farewell video in which the latter claimed responsibility for a suicide attack in Afghanistan that killed seven CIA agents and contractors.
He was blamed for numerous terror attacks in Pakistan that killed thousands of people and security personnel. Security analysts say he brought the largely Pakistan-focusing Taliban closer to al Qaeda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi