PIA crew detained in US for several hours
Lahore: The cabin crew of a Pakistan International Airlines flight was detained for several hours
at John F Kennedy Airport in New York for allegedly smuggling
hundreds of cartons of cigarettes and dozens of mobile phone
sets, officials said on Thursday.
Authorities at the US airport held eight members of the
crew of PIA flight PK-721 yesterday after over 500 cigarette
cartons and a large number of mobile sets, mostly BlackBerrys
and iPhones, were found in their baggage.
The items were in excess of the permissible limits,
The authorities interrogated the crew members for five
hours and released them after imposing a heavy fine on PIA,
PIA spokesman Sultan Hasan described the incident as
unfortunate and said an inquiry had been initiated against the
"Strict action will be taken against them if the charges
against them are proved," he said.
Incidentally, earlier this week, another PIA crew
member had been jailed for 32 months for trying to smuggle
dozens of counterfeit passports and fake passport materials
into the UK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why