PIA staffers to stage nationwide protests
Islamabad: Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) employees have decided to stage nationwide protests for an indefinite period against the deteriorating condition of the national flag carrier, Dawn newspaper reported.
They are also against a recently signed $700 million agreement between its management and a US firm for supply of spares, consumable material, chemicals and other items.
The action committee of the employees` unions of PIA has taken a decision about staging a nationwide protest to register their anguish over it.
"We are going on a protest from November 18 for an indefinite period against faulty decisions of the PIA management," said Shaukat Jamshed, president Society of Aircraft Engineers. "We are compelled to launch the protest as monthly loss of PIA has gone up to Rs. 2 billion from Rs.1 billion."
All PIA employees unions, including Air League, Pakistan Airline Pilots Association (Palpa), Unity Union, Pakistan International Airlines Corporation Employees (Piace) and PIA CBA have jointly decided to stand up against the downfall of the organisation, said Jamshed.
However, Jamshed clarified that the over 20,000 employees would not jam the PIA machinery by going on the strike but would hold demonstrations and sit-ins.
"But if our demands are not met, the employees will go on a strike in the second phase," he warned.
In a meeting last month, President Asif Ali Zardari called for implementation of a wide-ranging reform plan to arrest the rising liabilities, stem general decline and convert the PIA into a profitable organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31